[Genealib] census abbreviations - 1920 BD, MH, BwF

Susan Scouras Susan.Scouras at wvculture.org
Thu Jul 1 13:15:07 EDT 2004

I consulted with my director, Fredrick Armstrong, who serves as West Virginia State Historian.  He remembered a 1923 study of living conditions of miners.  A few keyword searches later, I came up with "Living Conditions in the Bituminous Coal Fields," "Submitted to the United States Coal Commission by the Bituminous Operators's Special Committee, September 20, 1923."  I think this report also was included in an overall report presented to the U.S. Congress:  United States Coal Commission Report, 5 parts, Senate Document 195, 68th Congress, 2nd Session, GPO, 1925.

This was a study of all aspects of the communities supporting coal mining operations, with a comparison of company towns and non-company towns, including discussions of race and presence of immigrant workers as factors.  (Since this report was written by coal company operators, I'm sure you can figure out which type of community comes out ahead.)  While I did not see any statistical tables or discussion that directly used the information apparently gathered from the 1920 Census, there were numerous mentions of how many miners owned their own homes, of single miners boarding with families, and of miners from the same ethnic groups boarding together, etc., all information which could have been gathered from the census.

The study included the following coal field areas:
PENNSYLVANIA:  Central Pennsylvania (Windber and Clearfield) [towns mentioned as "largely visited for shopping and recreation:  Johnstown, Patton, Barnesboro, Ebensburg, Indiana and Punxsutawny]; Pittsburgh and Freeport; Somerset (Somerset County).
WEST VIRGINIA:  Logan (Logan County); Northern West Virginia (Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, and Randolph Counties); Pocahontas and Tug River (no towns or counties specified, but I speculate that it is the Wayne and/or Lincoln County area, since "Tug River" must be the Tug Fork of the Big Sandy River, which is WV's western border); Williamson (Mingo County area).
OHIO:  Pittsburgh No. 8 Vein.
KENTUCKY:  Northeastern Kentucky; Kentucky section of the Williamson Field.
ILINOIS:  Belleville; Southern Fields.
KANSAS:  Pittsburg Field.
MISSOURI:  Lexington Field.
ARKANSAS:  Sebastian Field.
Portions of each of these three states are included in the "Southwestern Interstate Field":
COLORADO: Routt; Canyon City; Walsenburg; Trinidad.
WYOMING:  Rock Springs Field.
ALABAMA:  "Majority of the communities studied were in the Warrior River Field," implying there were other communities located elsewhere in Alabama that were included in the study.

Please note that these are not the official geologic names for the various coal fields.  "Pocahontas and Tug River" does not mean the Pocahontas Coal Field, and may even be the name of an individual coal company or companies.

Those of you who have found marked census records can compare the locations you found with those in the study for matches.

Susan Scouras
Librarian
Archives and History Library
WV Division of Culture and History