[Genealib] Genealogy Statistics

Chris and Tom Tinney, Sr. vctinney at dcn.org
Tue Oct 26 18:09:27 EDT 2004

With 19 million people actively tracing their heritage
and 113 million expressing an interest in starting,
genealogy is one of America's favorite pastimes.1

1 Fulkerson, Jennifer. "Climbing the Family Tree."
American Demographics, Dec 95 vol. 17 Issue 12 p42.
http://www.cuyahogalibrary.org/researchinfo/Genealogy/Getting_started.htm

It is estimated that genealogy is the hobby of more
than 100 million people in the Unites States. [1]
[1] Jennifer Fulkerson, "Climbing the Family Tree,"
American Demographics (np: December 1995).
42-50, quoted in Jim Willard and Terry Willard
with Jane Wilson, Ancestors: A Beginner's Guide
to Family History and Genealogy
(Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1997), 203.
(LOC - CS16.W526 1997)
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~nahl/students/601bibplan-panko.htm

There is "113 million expressing an interest in starting,"
VS.
"genealogy is the hobby of more than 100 million people
in the Unites States"

A 1995 survey by Maritz Marketing Research showed
that over 45% of American adults, or 87.5 million people,
are interested in genealogy-almost 14 million
"involved a great deal," and another 74 million
"somewhat interested."2
2. Jennifer Fulkerson, "Climbing the Family Tree,"
American Demographics (Dec. 1995), pp. 42-50.
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=1695

Based on a 1995 poll by Martiz Marketing Research
of Fenton, Missouri, for American Demographics,
it was estimated that more than 113 million American
adults (4 in 10) "are at least somewhat interested
in genealogy." 19 million were estimated to be
"involved a great deal in tracing their lineage."
The estimates cited in the article included some
of the demographics of those individuals. Not
included, however, was the sampling size of
the survey group upon whom those estimates were based.
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/APG/1998-09/0906909313

The current U.S. population clock shows,
as of this moment, 294,610,379, tied to
the 2000 Census data.
http://www.census.gov/population/www/

In 2000, 25 million men and 31 million women
were aged 55 and over, a key segment of those
who do genealogical research.
http://www.census.gov/population/pop-profile/2000/chap18.pdf

113 million interested Americans would exceed
the 56 million aged 55 and over by 57 million.

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] - on
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, {both editions]
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/